Saturday, November 24, 2007

American Ap-pie-rel

Emily and I agree that Thanksgiving is totally about the stuffing, but pie definitely makes an important and regular appearance each year at my house. While dessert often seems like an afterthought to the spread of savory delights my mom whips up, the pumpkin and pecan pies are always delicious.


This year, my dad found a recipe for sweet potato pie in the Wall Street Journal and knowing of our shared affinity for this particular pastry he requested it for Turkey Day. I took him up on the offer, excited as always to try out a new recipe.

Alas, due to the shenanigans of our treacherous oven, what might have been a beautiful addition to my mother's cooking turned out less than tasty. The oven's temperature spiked within the first ten minutes of baking and in another ten minutes the pie was burned. In a moment of mock drama, Emily collapsed to the floor in what I can only describe as the 'American Apparel' pose--you know the one.

Thankfully, I have enough sweet potatoes left over to try this again. I am hopeful that with a few tweaks to the recipe and the cooperation of the oven the second attempt will be more inspiring than the first.

No comments: